Xbox 360 Crysis 3 – First Impressions from a Competitive Player

mamessier

Contributor
Crysis 3 – First Impressions from a Competitive Player​

Hello everyone. I'm writing this little guide as an introduction to Crysis 3. I want to give you a bit of my impressions of the game from a "skilled perspective". I've always been a competitive player in various shooters like CoD and Quake, and I want to put aside the more arcadish elements of game (turrets, etc.) to focus a bit more of what could make a good skilled player in Crysis 3. Here it goes.

As I first launched Crysis 3, I must say I was a bit disappointed with the two maps offered. I found that in comparison to Crysis 2, the maps lost a lot of their vertical aspect and I kind of miss the more futuristic style of the previous game. I still consider the C2 map Skyline to be my all-time favorite for the series and I'm hoping it will be back somehow. Still, I must admit that this new "more horizontal" type of environment allows for much different matches. There are still a few interesting spots to attain using the powerful nanosuit propulsion jump, but it is mainly about making plenty of fast sprints across the map to confuse and surprise your opponent. It’s a pretty big change of pace to say the least.

That technique goes especially well with the cloak (invisibility mode) that's still present and I found it to last even longer than in the previous game. The matches then becomes much more of a game of hide-and-seek, but this is then balanced by the fact that everyone seems to be equipped with Proximity Alarm by default. Most people are therefore warned about approaching enemies and I hope newcomers quickly catch on to the concept so that they're not frustrated by the game and leave. Again, this makes me hope for more vertical maps as the full game comes out because Proximity Alarm kind of kills the fun of a flat map. In C2, a ringing beep meant that someone could also be above or beneath you. In Crysis 3, a 360 spin generally suffice to scan for incoming enemies.

Now when it comes to attacking, I found that the new and "more natural" environment could be used quite effectively. On Airport, more than once I have racked up many kills after running around the map in cloak mode, found a hidden spot in the vegetation on the side, deactivated my invisibility and took my time to shoot the entire opposite team. It takes a bit of time of the enemies to spot you once you unveil yourself by shooting, and this time is even longer if you're well covered in the wilderness. Use this to your advantage.

Next, as far as the gametypes available, there are two in the beta – Crashsite and Hunter. I wouldn't say they are the ones that I enjoy the most as a competitive player, but I understand that Crytek wants to put forward the most unique gametypes Crysis has to offer. Don’t take the results on the scoreboard too personally for now – the more hardcore gametypes for skilled player will be in the full game.

Learning to aim

Learning to aim in Crysis 3 will be quite a challenge for most people new to the series, even the most competitive gamers. I found Crysis 3 to be a little more fluid and smooth than Crysis 2, but still, anyone that is used to the high frame rate of Call of Duty will find it difficult to get the same results at first with their aim. Aiming at a distance, tracking your opponent and even the most basic moves can prove to be difficult if you're not used to playing the Crysis series. This might seem awkward, but I would really recommend that people take on the sniper to get used to the moving pattern, speed and "floatyness" of the movement of Crysis. After a few days of sniping only, come back to the assault class and you will really notice an improvement in your ability to track your opponent with your aim. Finally, I think that joystick acceleration is still very much present in Crysis 3 compared to C2, which is pretty unfortunate. For those who are not aware, acceleration is the way your cursor (aim) starts to move faster once you reach the edge of your joystick. Therefore, it’s necessary to keep adjusting and playing with your sensitivity until you get something that’s well balanced for long and short distances. It will take a bit of time to figure out, so be patient. Also, concentrate on aiming more with your strafe (left joystick) than in other games.

So in conclusion, I have mixed feelings about Crysis 3, but I think it’s growing on me. Also, don't forget to get a good monitor or HDTV if you want to play this game well. The radar has many tiny details that you don't want to miss to keep understanding what's going on the battlefield and where to go. I would even say that standing close to your screen is a requirement in some situations. This is a colorful and shiny game that can be quite a mess visually at times. Also, wear a headset. Crysis has always been a game of hide-and-seek and you will need every bit of sound to come out as the victor of each battle.

Don’t forget that you have until February 12th to practice in the beta!

Gosh, I loved Skyline from C2. Overall, however, I do think the series should try and focus more on single player, as that's where it truly has the chance to show off the great set-pieces and the graphics. I hope Crysis 3 is a step in the same direction as the first game, which was absolutely amazing.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back