Xbox 360 Final Fantasy XIII: Great graphics, but...

janelane1

I was really excited when I came across Final Fantasy 13 for Xbox 360 a while back. It's been on my shelf for a while now but only recently did I have the chance to open it up and play it. I have to say, it has great graphics, especially compared to the Final Fantasy games I have for PS2. However, I found the game to be way too linear. Anyone else here think Final Fantasy 13 was a bit overrated?

It wasn't my favorite game by any means, nor was it even my favorite Final Fantasy. As far as that franchise is concerned, my favorite has always been Final Fantasy X. Other than Final Fantasy XII, I haven't really liked anything that's been released since.

I've never been a Final Fantasy fan, period. I'm just not much for RPG games or the turn based fighting. I watched someone else play #13 though, so I will admit that the graphics are stellar. It's just not a game I would ever buy for myself.

Jane, I will say that I would have been happier with Final Fantasy 13 had it not been so linear, but still, I liked the game. Maybe it did receive higher reviews than what I would have given it myself, but I still had fun playing it. I do agree with others here that it's not Final Fantasy at it's best, though.

The story section of the game is ridiculously linear, but I did appreciate the fact that the post-story gameplay was very open and a lot of fun (not to mention challenging). If you haven't explored the post-story content I highly suggest it. Most of it is running back and forth to different hunts, but it's still a lot of fun.

I have the game but I haven't had a chance to unbox it yet. Thanks for your guys' opinions though, and I'll tell you guys what I think when I have a chance to play.

I am a Final Fantasy junkie, so my opinion is probably pretty biased. Was 13 my favorite? Absolutely not. But I did enjoy playing it just because I can never get enough Final Fantasy.

Honestly, I wouldn't call it overrated, and there are many people who call it out for being linear (and also many who flat-out lambast it). That being said, I agree that it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, but still has a lot going for it. I have yet to play XIII-2, but it did a lot to correct the formula established in XIII from what I've read.

But I did enjoy playing it just because I can never get enough Final Fantasy.

This is me too. ;) I didn't like the linear style but the other elements were enjoyable and it looks beautiful. MSLewis - thanks for that point about the post-story content...I'll admit that once I finished the story I stopped playing (mainly because I had other games begging for my attention at that point), but I might now go back and take another look. I got FFXIII-2 yesterday for a bargain price - would you say I'd be better waiting to start that till I've completely beaten XIII? Will XIII-2 make more sense if I fully finish the first game first?

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back